facebook
Slow Food
Città Slow
Strada dei Vini
Photo Gallery
Video Gallery
Virtual Tour
Art and culture
Churches
Chiesa delle Cinque Fonti
immagine Chiesa delle Cinque Fonti
Click here to zoom
The present church of Santa Maria delle Cinque Fonti dates back to the fifteenth century. In the course of the following centuries it underwent several changes. The reason it is called the church of the five sources is due to the presence, of the medieval arches ( in the immediate vicinity) which were to contain five fountains. The fairly simple façade has two windows known as the "viandante"; allowing people to follow the mass even from outside. Inside there are valuable frescos commissioned as a thanksgiving for graces received and carried out during the fourteenth and the fifteenth centuries. On the right wall is a painting of the Saints Rocco, Cristoforo and Sebastiano, without any doubt the oldest work of art there.
The inscription, at the bottom of the frame, states that the work was performed in 1487 commissioned by "ser Ugolino," in gratitude for the healing from an epidemic, probably the plague of 1469. The presence of St. Bernardino of Siena, friar minor, may be motivated by the fact that the church relied on the ‘SS.ma Annunziata’ convent belonging, to the same order. In addition, as a young man, still in Siena during an outbreak of plague, Bernardino devoted himself to caring for the sick. On the wall of the counter façade is the painting of the "Madonna del Latte", with very modest features.

On the left wall is another work depicting the vow of an ill person, with his eyes looking up, towards the image of the "Madonna and Child" and by the fragmentary inscription it appears that the man was healed in the leg, through the intercession of the Virgin. On the right wall is a painting considered to be more interesting, that of "St. Rocco, the Virgin and Child, St. Sebastiano and St. Bernardino of Siena" next to them is a "Madonna and Child".

 
Church and Convent of St. Secondo
The church added the Oratory of the Confraternity of Buona Morte.
The abbey of St. Secondo was built in the twelfth century on the ruins of a temple that belonged to the Silvestrini monks. The building consists of three parts: the first was built on a Christian cemetery, the second dates back to the Romanesque period, the third is from the 1500's. The Abbey played a role of considerable political importance that we see as it becomes witness to major historical events such as the Treaty of Todi in 1208.
The interior of the church is in Baroque style and is divided into two rooms. There one can admire a beautiful wooden choir stands, holy vestments belonging to the confraternity of Buona Morte that still exists, as well as some interesting paintings.
Next to the abbey there is an impressive Romanesque tower.

 
Church and Monastery of St. Magno
immagine Church and Monastery of St. Magno
Click here to zoom
The Church of St. Magno or St. Manno pertaining to the monastery dedicated to the same saint was founded by the wish of the monks of the basilica of St. Paul outside the walls in Rome around the end of 1200's, and belongs to the Benedictine nuns of seclusion.
Inside the church there is an organ that's considered one of the most valuable in Amelia. It has become an attraction and is subject to study by organists and organologists. It is now also included in the tourist itineraries and enjoys deserved fame both in Italy and abroad. The organ is part of the "monastic" instruments, i.e. those intended to be played by the religious who vowed seclusion like the nuns the monastery of St. Magno. This, however often led to problems (when an outsider had to use it) that were initially ingeniously resolved using various methods.

The instrument of the Benedictines of St. Magno provides an innovation that makes it unique : it was fitted with a keyboard placed in the choir loft and a second keyboard down, on the main floor of the church, closed in a cupboard that can be opened and used as needed. The ingenuity of the system lies in the fact that the second keyboard and the commands of the registers act at a distance of over two meters on a single soundboard , though, equipped with a double row of winnowing fans.

 
Church of St. Agostino
immagine Church of  St. Agostino
Click here to zoom
The Church, built on the previous one dedicated to St Pancrazio, has a beautiful Romanesque-Gothic facade divided into two sections with a rose window and a door with allegorical bas-relief decorations typical of Romanesque art. In the choir balcony over the doorway, there's a precious organ from the company of Morettini (1841).
The inside was renovated between 1747 and 1762, in late baroque style, keeping the external Gothic characteristics and windows. The church has remarkable frescoes by Francesco Appiani and a beautiful wooden chancel.

Our Lady of Lourdes is venerated in this church, in fact, a grotto was built in one chapel in memory of the miracle and as an evidence of the people's devotion . Going out to the left and through a doorway with a roof supported by granite columns with Gothic capitals, you can visit the cloister (1492) of the convent, with the arcade and balconies supported by Corinthian columns, that are currently being restored.

 
Church of St. Girolamo in Posterola
The church is located at the bottom of a picturesque street and dates back to the XVII century.
The inside has an octagonal shape with external pilasters where there is a beautiful fresco of the late fourteenth century depicting the Madonna and Child.
The choir balcony accessible from outside, has a chamber organ dating back to the 1700's that still retains an almost unaltered phonic and mechanical quality.

 
Church of Santa Maria di Porta (Via Garibaldi)
The small church was built at the end of 1600's. Inside is the main wooden altar with an interesting fresco dating back to the XV century originating from one of doors of Amelia , depicting the Madonna and Child. In the side altars also of wood there are beautiful seventeenth-century paintings.

 
Church of Santa Monica (Via Cavour)
The church, adjacent to the monastery has a baroque interior with wooden altars containing interesting seventeenth-century paintings including one attributed to Bartolomeo Barbiano. The vaulted ceilings frescoed with designs of internodes in imitation of a dome with a lantern are quite impressive. Above the main entrance you can admire a beautiful choir loft while on the side access door some frescoes can be seen, perhaps survivors of a sixteenth-century chapel.

 
Church of St. Francesco
immagine Church of St. Francesco
Click here to zoom
In 1287, according to chronicles ,friar Bartolomeo of Amelia founded the church of San Francesco initially dedicated to Saints Filippo and Giacomo
In 1447 the talented masters Francesco and Guglielmo of Lombardy built the bell tower.
Between the 1500's and 1600's, the church was renovated to build the choir stall, and this period also covers the renovation of the light sources in the apse, facade and presbytery. In the XVIII century the church was renovated, in fact the windows were raised higher than the eaves of the original crown. The last makeover by the Salesians was in 1942 when the monastery was transformed into a boarding school.

The exterior of the church maintained its late Romanesque Gothic architectural features, especially along the sides and in the apse. The façade, the work of local masons, made with simple and harmonious blocks of travertine finely crafted, dates back to 1401. It is divided into two sections by a lace like frame ; in the upper part there is a double rosette and a framed sub ceiling in the pattern of lobed arches which form the cusp.
The interior, a Latin cross, with its lines vaguely baroque was renovated in 1767. To note, on the right is the chapel dedicated to St. Anthony (thanks to the Lombard Antonio Pini), which has maintained its original 15th century appearance and the six tombs of the noble family of Geraldini among which is the "funerary monuments of Matteo and Elisabetta" , a monumental work of Agostino di Duccio (1477).

 
Convent of St. Giacomo of the Capuchin
The building, a few kilometers from the center lies in an admirable breathtaking panoramic position immersed in the peaceful greenery of the woods; already hospice for pilgrims and the sick (1156), then the home of the "Nuns St. Magnus," (around 1550), The structure known as "San Giacomo de redere" belongs to the Capuchin Friars Minor.
Recently extended and renovated, it can accommodate pilgrims and tourists eager to strengthen their spirit.
In the church you can admire a beautiful painting attributed to the Square, depicting the "Madonna with Saints", a big wooden crucifix placed in the chancel, a fine frame of "The Last Supper" in the refectory. A modern statue of St. Francis of Assisi, the work of the sculptor Aurelio De Felice., has been recently placed at the center of the cloister.

 
Convent of the SS.Annunziata
immagine Convent of the SS.Annunziata
Click here to zoom
An amazing convent surrounded by nature between the hills of Amelia. The structure is three miles from Amelia and was built in the fifteenth century on an earlier hermitage.
The monastery belonging to the Franciscans is made up of a beautiful courtyard and the church whose simple and unadorned interior has a painting of the Annunciation depicted by Bruschi.
Originally the church conserved the famous "Gardner Annunciation" painted in 1481 by PierMatteo d'Amelia now on display in the Gardner Museum in Boston. Also belonging to the convent is the cloister, the planetarium that reproduces some astronomical phenomenas and last but not least is the magnificent permanent Crib made ​​of plaster by the famous Spanish artist Juan Mari Oliva.

 
Ex Church of the Crucifix
The church was built in 1700 on an earlier religious building. Inside there are altars with emblems of the ancient guilds from the annexed Oratory, and some paintings of the 1600s and 1700s including one that depicts the "Charity of St. Omobono".
In the chancel there is an interesting organ from 1700.
The church hosts the Amerina choir; tel. 0744/982922.

 
Former Church dell'Ospedaletto (già della Misericordia o di San Giovanni Decollato)
The building site, shortly after the entrance of Porta Romana, now houses the Cultural Circle of Santa Firmina. It consists of a chapel and an adjoining oratory. It formed part of a hospital building established for the poor and pilgrims around the middle of the fourteenth century.
Upon entering, on the left, you can admire a fresco by the Sienese school; Mary with Child and Angels. On the entrance wall there are two fine paintings that of the Baptism of Christ and that of the doctrine of St. John the Baptist attributed to the artist Litardo Piccioli of Amelia. The vault is entirely frescoed most probably by the Zuccari school. There is also a third painting: "The beheading of St. John" bearing the signature of Livio Agresti along with the year 1571.

 
Former Church of St. Angelo
The church is beside a big convent that belonged to the Somaschi. It became municipal property after years of neglect and has been completely renovated.
It has an interesting facade made entirely from bricks with framework of travertine stone , bordered by two bell towers one of which still keeps the clock to six hours to complete mechanism with the ringing of the bell by hours.

 
The Cathedral
immagine The Cathedral
Click here to zoom
It is the most important religious building of Amelia and was built on the "Sacrum Verticem" of the town in 872. In 1629 a large fire destroyed the cathedral, which was rebuilt in Baroque style.
The façade; completed in the nineteenth century, is of pink brick. The grand and solemn interior houses important works of art, including: paintings by F. Zuccari, G. F. Perini, Niccolò Pomarancio, an artwork of a cusp from the Sienese school for a long time attributed to Duccio da Buoninsegna, then to a local artist and a painting depicting Our Lady with baby Jesus by Antoniazzo Romano.

The chapel of the Holy Sacrament (XVI century) is truly remarkable. It has an octagonal shape and preserves an interesting painting attributed to Taddeo Zuccari as well as marble monuments of Bishops Bartolomeo and Baldo Farrattini, an outstanding work by the great artist from Orvieto; Ippolito Scalza.
The walls are frescoed by Luigi Fontana. The cathedral also contains sculptures by Agostino di Duccio, Ippolito Scalza and Dosio. Noteworthy is the baptismal font in Renaissance style, with a small marble statue of St. John the Baptist attributable perhaps to the school of Donatello. Underneath the altar are preserved the bodies of the patron saints of Amelia Santa Fermina and Sant'Olimpiade.

The wall on the left side of the altar displays a copy of the "Cross of Evangelization" which, in 1514, was blessed and lifted by Bishop Alexander Geraldini, the first Bishop who arrived on the island "La Española" today's Dominican Republic and Haiti. Pope John Paul II delivered this copy in 1986 to the Diocese of Amelia.

Lastly in the cathedral, are kept, two important organs. The great organ built in 1904 by the firm of Rieger Jaegerndorf in Austrian Silesia inside the eighteenth-century case placed in cornu Epistulae and in the presbytery is a rare chamber organ from the 1600’s, recently restored.
It is also possible to marvel at the artistic nativity scene of Dr. Carlo Chiappafreddo (No. 1914 - m. 1967), donated to the cathedral by the Chiappafreddo family. It consists of clay and papier-mâché characters of various sizes and of original Spanish production just like those used for dioramas representing numerous episodes of the life of Jesus.

News
2019, June 04
Events
from 25/05 to 26/05
Accommodation highlight