Mobile version
facebook
Slow Food
Città Slow
Strada dei Vini
Photo Gallery
Video Gallery
Virtual Tour
What to see
Religious Itineraries
immagine
Click here to zoom
 
Franciscan Itinerary
immagine Franciscan Itinerary
Click here to zoom
Church of St. Francis
St. Francis, in the course of his continuous pilgrimages to Umbria also visit Amelia and some surrounding towns, leaving traces of his enlivining presence and work.

The Church of St. Francis was built in Amelia in 1287 and in the fourteenth century it became part of the convent of the Friars Minor. Inside; in the chapel of St. Antonio, on the right, are the noteworthy funerary monuments of the Geraldini family, truly eye- catching are those of Matteo and Elisabetta by Agostino di Duccio (1477). Upon exiting the church, to the right, going through a beautiful Renaissance gateway you arrive to the 'Former Boccarini College, now the Archaeological Museum and the Art Gallery "E.Rosa" which houses the infamous statue of Germanicus.
www.sistemamuseo.it

Church of Santa Maria delle Cinque Fonti
The Church of the Madonna delle Cinque Fonti originally dates back to the 15th century though it did undergo later modifications. It owes its name to the presence, of five medieval arches containing five water sources, unfortunately now incorporated into modern superstructures. Tradition has it that the church was built in memory of a conversion brought about by St. Francis in this site in 1213.
The exterior of the building, though fairly simple is characterized by the façade's two windows known as the "viandante" that allow people to follow the mass from the outside. Inside; there are valuable frescos, on the main altar Mother Mary with baby Jesus and on the sides the "Saints Rocco, Cristoforo and Sebastiano", without doubt they are the oldest works.

Convent of the SS.Annunziata
The convent of the Santissima Annunziata immersed in the greenery of a holm oak just a few miles from Amelia is the most famous and oldest Franciscan monastery of the Amerino area. Its first structure was a housing for hermits. A beautiful courtyard leads you to the church where the ' Annunciation depicted by Bruschi, is displayed.
Originally the church preserved the famous "Gardner Annunciation" painted in 1481 by PierMatteo d'Amelia and now on display in the Gardner Museum in Boston. Through the entrance from the courtyard in front of the church you can visit the impressive permanent nativity scene made ​​entirely of plaster by the Spaniard crib expert Juan Mari Oliva with the help of Carlo Chippafreddo of Amelia.


Convent of St. Giacomo dei Cappuccini
The structure, a few kilometers from the center is situated in a remarkable panoramic position immersed in the green harmony of the woods; previously a shelter for pilgrims and the sick (1156), then residence of the nuns of Saint Magno during the XVI century. The structure, known as "San Giacomo de Redere" was later passed to the Friars Minor. It was recently expanded and renovated to accommodate pilgrims and tourists eager to strengthen their spiritual wellbeing.

In the church is a beautiful painting depicting the "Madonna with Saints", a noteworthy "wooden crucifix" in the chancel and a valuable frame of "The Last Supper" in the refectory. A modern statue of St. Francis of Assisi, the work of the sculptor Aurelio De Felice has been recently placed at the middle of the cloister.


 
Marian itinerary
immagine Marian itinerary
Click here to zoom
Marian itinerary

The people of Amelia and its territory are very devoted to Mary. Mother Mary has always been a solid point of reference in the spiritual growth of the faithful, the city itself is dedicated to Our Lady with its many churches, images and Marian shrines.
In 1703 an inscription expressing the people's gratitude towards the Virgin Mary for saving them from the year’s terrible earthquake that devastated central Italy, was placed on the main gate, Porta Romana. Above the inscription is an image of the Assumption attributed to Mario di Amelia dating back to the XV century.
In the old town you will find many churches dedicated to the Marian cult, such as:

The Church of Santa Maria dei Laici or la chiesa dell´Ospedaletto, where in the thirteenth century the confraternity, carrying the same name ,built a small hospital to bring relief to the poor and the pilgrims. The small church has a much venerated image of the Madonna and Child, attributed to Taddeo Zuccari.
Upstairs there is an important fresco dating back to the XVI century attributed to the Sienese School depicting St. Mary of the Laity which shows Mary with her ​​cloak covering all those who entrust themselves to her.


La Chiesa della Madonnina ( or Santa Maria di Porta) is a church where a special image of Mary is venerated. Our Lady is in fact depicted as giving milk to baby Jesus; the image is therefore known as the Madonna del Latte. It is a 15th century fresco that was removed from an arch of the town's alleys.

La Chiesa della Madonna della Visitazione della Confraternita di San Girolamo in Posterola.The church has a fresco that was once placed over one of the city gates . The image was greatly venerated as the Virgin granted favors and blessings so much that Pope Paul III (1548) and Pope Innocent X (1646) conceded many absolutions to the faithful who prayed before it.

The Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta is built on the highest point of the town. Near the high altar there is a small painting depicting the Assumption; a precious fourteenth-century work attributed for a long period to the Sienese painter Duccio and subsequently to an anonymous local artist. According to tradition, every year, the image is displayed for veneration during the months of May and August with a solemn procession on the 15th.

Il Santuario della Madonna delle Grazie In the village of Foce lies the beautiful Sanctuary of the Madonna delle Grazie (XVII century). It still preserves the much venerated image of the Madonna (XV), which once stood in a shrine built at the foot of the hill, near the Beccio stream. On the 13th of May 1629 the sacred image was solemnly and miraculously transferred to the village the where the sanctuary was built and where on the 13th of June 1859 was crowned on nulla osta (approved; declared nothing prohibits) of Pope Pius IX as evidence of the many miraculous events that occurred through the intercession of Mary.
Source: Amelia Città di Maria - Sandro Bigi year: 2002

News
2017, December 11
2017, December 03
2017, December 16
2017, December 09
Events
from 01/01 to 31/12
Accommodation highlight